Thursday, October 8, 2015

Unit 2 Reflection

         Health is the state your body is in, relative to the complete working functions of the average human. I unfortunately, am not very healthy as the pillar of relaxation and recoup has crumbled for me. I get around two-thirds of the sleep I'm supposed to be getting, and see this phenomenon around campus with extreme frequency. There should be a mandatory time to turn in assignments online, but this cannot be regulated as well with written assignments and studying. A central theme of this unit was the ways to maintain homeostasis in your body, and keep that internal environment from breaking down                                                                                       through external and internal factors.
     I learned a little more about human bodies (their anatomy and physiology) such as the stress hormones like aldosterone and their function, like the production of adrenaline and the increase in retention of certain ions in the organs of the excretory system. I am still confused, however, on the idea that marriage can be good for health, as I didn't acquire that reading and the discussion about it was really short. In the next unit I will probably want to start studying before the day before the test, as this late-night study-session actually impairs my test taking ability. Well, we shall see.


        The implications of not getting enough sleep are highly prominent in my life, as I have seen in my daily life, like the one time I was so tired from pulling an all-nighter to write an essay, finish a project, and study for a test, I ended up with a low C on it. I wasn't able to process information and ended up sleeping with my eyes open for a good half of the test. This will hopefully reinforce my choices in the future about whether I should sacrifice sleep for extra studying time.


My goals were to get physically stronger by reinforcing as many of the pillars of health as possible, and that the end result would show itself at the 7 mile march at the Rose Parade, a strenuous test of both physical and mental strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment